My-Tamil.Com

My-Tamil.Com My-Tamil Message Board Home Tree View Login Search Latest Messages Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting

Proof that Tamil is the oldest Indian language

My-Tamil.Com: Tamilnadu Forum: Arts: Proof that Tamil is the oldest Indian language
By Ed Viswanathan on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:13 pm: Edit Post

http://tamil.berkeley.edu/Tamil%20Chair/TamilClassicalLanguage/TamilClassicalLge Ltr.html

I think Tamil is the Oldest language in India-- Of course I have to do more research before I come to the final conclusion. Mohenjadaro, Harappa excavations show TAMIL and DRAVIDIAN connection.

My name is Ed Viswanathan and I am an engineer and author of an international best seller on Hinduism by name AM I A HINDU? [ISBN 1-879904-06-3 HALO BOOKS, USA and RUPA PRESS in India, which has sold many copies around the globe....

For the last so many years, I have sent more than 1800 complimentary copies of my book at random to Indian students studying in western universities. At least 4 universities in USA alone are using this book as a medium of instruction in Hinduism. This book is one of a kind with 90 chapters and hundreds of questions and answers.

This book is in the form of thought provoking dialogue between 14 year old American born Indian teenager and his middle aged father on all aspects of Hinduism. Almost all the papers and magazines [such as THE HINDU, Madras, HINDUISM TODAY, INDIA WEST, Indian Express etc] in India have written excellent reviews on this book. In USA many magazines [LIBRARY JOURNAL, BOOKLIST etc] have recommended this book for all libraries. To help every one, especially students understand every aspect of Hinduism, I have set up a web page with many educational flow charts. Kindly visit my web page. Thanking you in advance for reading this message. edvis9@hotmail.com
http://www.amiahindu.com

http:///www.udupipages.com/book/hindhu.html

Recently the book is translated to Indonesian language
Am I a Hindu? in INDONESIAN LANGUAGE
Apakah Saya Orang Hindu?
Ed. Visvanathan
N.P. !
Putra, Sang Ayu Putu Renny
www.saradbali.com/sarads/s1001/cakepan.htm

By Shyam on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:51 pm: Edit Post

It is a nice argument.Let us not kill the charm and verve and vigour and simplicity of this lovely language by pushing it to Mohenjo daro/harappa , may be even Sumer or Atlantis.

Do not pit one language against another , and please for heavens sake , everybody on this poor earth wants to have some ancestor from Harappa/Sumer/Babylon/Atlantis/Ancient Greece/Ancient Rome. And some find pride in 'Northern Barbarians'/'Eastern Barbarians'.

The whole script of all these stories is why they are superior to others.
And the script is made because they need to convince themselves.

Let history and the past not be a walking stick to the present (and not to the future).

By rameshkumar on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:52 pm: Edit Post

Sir, i am really happy to read about tamil the oldest language in india, i would like to view or read the proofs of above statement. i always support that statement

By Manoj on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:53 pm: Edit Post

Vannakam,

I have heard about your book, but didn't learn it.

I am also of the opinion that Tamil is the oldest language in Indian. It has links the Japonic languages, Basque, Korean, Sumerian, the Australian Aboriginal languages and the unknown language of the Indus valley civilisation., which makes it clear that Harrappan culture was indeed a Tamil culture before Aryan Invasion.

In India, the Govt denies the concept of Aryan Invasion, fears that it would create more problem and has been always down played. It didn't promote any research regarding the same.

It even seem to have link with Basque langauge in Spain. Also links to Tamil language in SE Asia is predominant.

However there seem to be less promotion in India in Tamil Research after the Introduction of Hindi as National Language of India, and it's aggressive domination.

I would love to learn your book sir, It would be kind if you can send the soft copy of the book to my email address (muckmanoj@yahoo.com).

Many Thanks.

By T. Wignesan on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 04:35 am: Edit Post

Tamil language given importance

Tamil IS. You can't make it into something different by using "la langue du bois" of politics. It has always been so, and it'll always continue to be the same and more as long as Tamils are alive! To call Tamil a classical language at this late date is a/the classic conundrum. What need has Tamil for recognition? It confers a special status on its users by its age and glory.
(But, thanks anyway to non-Tamils for recognising its intrinsic worth.)

By ulagan on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

Pillay Sanassy from MAURITIUS. ANYone with the same family name from Tanjavur please contact me.
ulagam@email.com

By viccu on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:03 am: Edit Post

I'm more than happy to hear tamil is the oldest language. I'd like to read your book. Pls email me. viccuindia@gmail.com. thanks.

By tamil vendan on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 08:29 am: Edit Post

sir, i would like to give some information about the indian hidiism,....
Is hindi the national!!!!! languge of india?
No, not at all, it is just an official language of the central govt.... thats it.... stil now they are trying to make it the national lang... but failed... from nehru to the present day politicians..... Actually india has 22 official languages, and 2 communication langs( english and hindi)(except for the state of tamilnadu- article 343 & 345 of official language act 1968).... we all have been cheated by the indian govt that hindi is the national language of india.....

By I Gede Putrayasa on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 08:37 pm: Edit Post

Dear Ed, I am Putra from Bali, Indonesia

You gave me a copy of Am I A Hindu some years back, and then I lost contact with you. Mostly I agree with your thought and opinions. But the above regarding language, I have different opinion.

From latest developments and finding it seems that Sanskrit is the source of all languages. Please check here one of informations related to this matter:

placelife.com/timeline/sarasvati-indus/sarasvati-script/natwarjhabyrajaram.html

Placelife.com is where we will put some of your writings in future as they were moved from Balilife.com.

Thanks and See You.

Putrayasa

By Anonymous on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:57 pm: Edit Post

I AM A t TAMIL. What is so big if Tamil is the oldest language or among the oldest language? Indonesian is a hibrid language. Indonesians are not very rich. Their country is much cleaner than Tamilnadu. The people dress and appear better fed . Although there is corruption it is safer than Tamilnadu. I am giving Indon as an example simply becos I have been there many times. It is better to empower the Tamils than to argue which is better etc. If you ate an Indian what is wrong in studing Hindi to potray nationalism? Hundred years from now Tamils will be still arguing while the world will march on forward. THINK

By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 07:49 am: Edit Post

Hindi dominance needs to be dealt severely. Hindi people are the worst people in the whole world, look at biharis, and other Hindi speaking states. they are poorer than Africans. How can Indians speak Hindi when Gujarati, Marathi, tamilians are richer, posh and better.

By Vignesh Balaji on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 09:30 pm: Edit Post

Hi All,

I was reading Manoj's comment. He has mentioned that - "However there seem to be less promotion in India in Tamil Research after the Introduction of Hindi as National Language of India, and it's aggressive domination."

I believe many people think that Hindi was declared as the National Language of India. But it is not the case. Hindi is not the National Language. India doesnt have a National Language defined in its constitution. Apart from the Offical languages, India has only Communication Languages. Hindi and Tamil are the 2 Communication Languages of India. Tamil being Communication Language in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry and Hindi being the Communication Language (meaning the court dialogues, etc., will take place in hindi) in other states of India. The misunderstanding that Hindi is the National Language should be removed from the minds of the people. And Government has to take steps towards it. Iam not sure, if it still appears in the text book that "Hindi is the National Language of India". If so, then a case should be raised against this false information and be removed from the text books.

By venkat iyer on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:30 am: Edit Post

It is sheer vanity and false sense of importance to suggest Tamil is the oldest language and that there is proof for it!!. I have been doing a deal of work in lingustics and language symbolism and anm very familiar with these fields of enquiry. There is NO PROOF anywhere that these assertions are correct. Some misguided scholars, without any sense of analysis, even go to the extent that the harappan language and Tamil are cognates. It is a shame that truth is being sacrificed because of nothing but a feeling of inferiority.

By Anonymous on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

it is a sheer waste of time to respond to your blog; you are not really interested in promoting a well desrved corpus of knowledge, are you? I shall never again try ro honour your blog which is nothing but an expression of a clique that wants to listen to your own voive. GGD RIDDANCE!!!

By Anonymous on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:50 pm: Edit Post

Tamils seem to have a built-in inferiority complex. There is no doubt that tamil is an nacient language, but therte is no credence in the view of some that the languages are cognate or that they have acommon ancestry. Te relate Tamil to the language of Harappa and Mohanjo daro is not tenable since there is no relevant material available tous. I am a philologist with more tyan an adequate knowledge and I am convinced that there is as yet no authentic argument to prove the impossible because we have not yet found any corroborative material to do so.

By Anonymous on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:52 pm: Edit Post

Tamils seem to have a built-in inferiority complex. There is no doubt that tamil is an nacient language, but therte is no credence in the view of some that the languages are cognate or that they have acommon ancestry. Te relate Tamil to the language of Harappa and Mohanjo daro is not tenable since there is no relevant material available tous. I am a philologist with more tyan an adequate knowledge and I am convinced that there is as yet no authentic argument to prove the impossible because we have not yet found any corroborative material to do so.

By Venkat Iyer on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:28 am: Edit Post

Do the Tamils have a chip on their shoulders? I have read this argument about Tamil being the oldest language(?), that Tamil havs been recognised as a classical language, that Tamil and Sumerian languages have cognate relationship, and that the language of Mohan Jo Daro and Harappa was some form of Tamil.
Well, I do have a more than a passing acqaintance with philology and pre-history, and am currently engaged in the study of meanings of symbols in language. Let me state with all strength that none of the abovesaid assertions is true. The language of Mohan Jo Daro, in spite of the best efforts, still eludes all clues about what it was and, until one finds incontrovertible and firm evdence, this matter will be one of bias and prejudice.
I was born a Tamil in Kerala, and am quite well versed in all the three vital languages: Malayalam, Tamil and Sanskrit. I cannot see at all as to why the Tamil should gloat about their undoubtedly rich language, when it has stopped growing along modern lines. Malayalam, Marathi, Bengali- among other literary languages, have impressive developments. But Tamil cannot boast of anything other than what had been achieved in the distant past. Apart from sheer belles lettres, Tamil has nothing to offer as a lingustic tool to provide for contemporary thought.
And as to the genetic connexion between the
people that built the Harappan civilisation and the present day Tamils(Dravidians), there is nothing at all to look for a link. The discovery reported in the papers about a hand axe and a chard in Tamil lands does not add any material to clinch the issue.Despite David Macalpines heroic efforts to suggest a proto-dravidian connexion we are still left with a vacuum in our understanding of the Harappan civilisation.

By Thamizan on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

ok ok ok all the big mouthed idots out there, better concentrate on your own works rather than debating on languages, hard work feeds you and takes you forward in life not the language, language is just a tool for human communication thats it and thats all. Lets all join hands together and take India forward as Indians and not as Idots. JAI HIND,,,,,,......

By S. M. Sullivan on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 09:03 pm: Edit Post

Tamil and Kannada are indeed very old, and I believe that some of the Harappan script signs are derived from Tamil or Kannada words.
Please see my article at the attached link:

http://decipherquarterly.piczo.com/?cr=2

By Lionel Arokiaraj on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 02:29 am: Edit Post

Indeed I agree with Mr.Sullivan's view that reflects the results of the studies of a vast majority of scholars. I wish to quote an article in the magazine 'Down to Earth'some months back about studies of deciphering the script of Harappa and Mohanjadaro. One of the striking similarities with the Tamil term 'Meen'that stands for fish and the term 'Vin Meen'(Vin meaning Sky)stands for the star in the sky has been reported in the article. The motif of Fish found extensively in the Indus script has been found to depict both the fish and the star as found to be both in water and the sky.

By P.Lionel Arokiaraj on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 01:25 am: Edit Post

It has been proved beyond doubt that Tamil has links to ancient living languages like Basque from far away lands,unlike languages like Sanskrit,which are dead.World renowned scholars o have been vouching for the same over the years,through scientific researches and studies.

Of course,the likes of Venkat Iyers from the fanatical Aryan stock which has been after the blood of Dravidian race,for thousands of years,since the days of the glorious Indus valley civlisation.

The fact that Tamil being the oldest among the Dravidian languges and the gentleness of its race,which was ruthlessly driven out of their wonderful settlements;has also been established beyond any iota of doubt.The struggle for Eelam is the latest of the testimonies.

The ones who came in search of green pastures and thrived with the patronage of the ancient Tamil kings do ofcourse speak Tamil but except a very few ,have never been loyal to it despite making use of it for their livelihood and furtherance.

By Vasudevan on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 01:28 am: Edit Post

Lionel Arokiaraj, agree with you that there is always some so called Aryan Sanskritist who are always bashing every attempt by Tamil to assert itself. Venkat Iyer there are already voluminous works proving and pointing towards Tamil's connection to many other old languages and Harappa is definetely one. Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu should feel the same as they all are of the same root. However, i would agree the Tamil people are gloating on pass glories and the current condition of living like herded goats and the dire appearance of south India tends to create doubt in the minds of many of the Tamil people's greatness. One wonders is this the race that built such civilisation or are they just speaking the remnant of that old language and claiming to be that people. Clean up your land, learn to live hygienically, become civil in your day to day life and show the world that you are a progressive culture and people. Otherwise, the tamil language will down with you. Shame on you modern, cinema fanatic, goat mentality, hero worshipping under achievers people. Change and be counted or be the laughing stock of the world inspite of your ancient glories.

By Anonymous on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 03:51 am: Edit Post

I don't understand on what basis someone now can really say that any language is older or fairly new, Human race started thousands of year ago. it evolved through many phases, in different places. No body ever can say where the first human was born, where was the first language born. which script was the oldest. what ever we get as result of excavation may not be the oldest ever known and even the analysis of age is also a guess based on some mathematical calculations which might not be true. just think the possibilities in how many ways our analysis can go wrong. i think somethings should not judged with out proper evidence.

If it makes you feel great that Tamil is oldest language then all good. u can say cause no one can prove you wrong.

some one else will say Kannada is oldest language, i will agree with him as well cause i cant prove him wrong. if some others say Sanskrit is oldest language i have to say yes again, reason i cant prove him wrong.

This world is two big and hides lot of secrets, so lets be open.

By Prathipa on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

Language is important! I felt bad when a kerala born tamil is supporting malayalam than tamil. Good u r bond in kerala.
Malayalam etc languages need improvement....cos its the new language.
Until 13 th century there is no language called malayalam! Ur language has been called kongu tamil or malay val tamil with a difficult accent.
It has to improve, cos it took so many loan words from tamil and sankrit.
If it doesnt improve, no one will respect ur language in future.
I disagree with ur comments tamilians speak too much abt their language.
Hey folks, whats wrong with that.
We are people who are happy with our culture and language.
Whats your problem? if you want to adapt half baked western culture...dude its ur problem.
I persnally feel, hindi speaking people are language terrorist.
Because in my office, most of the hindi speaking people speak to me in hindi, though they know i dont speak hindi.
Thats called language terrorism.
We dont care , whether u understand the language or not...we will speak to you only in that language. bull shit.
I think tamils and tamilians are way better than that.
If i hurt somebody i m not regretting it.
A tamil love
PRathipa

By Anonymous on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 05:56 pm: Edit Post

tamil nadu is the only country in this world. Tamil are the only humans on this world.If anyone have any other opinion they will fight back with their muscle and Big opened mouth,,,,,better keep quite, let them enjoy their stupidness,,,,,,,

By senthil on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 06:45 pm: Edit Post

Hi Prathipa.. "Because in my office, most of the Hindi speaking people speak to me in Hindi, though they know i don't speak Hindi. Thats called language terrorism." i completely agree with it. same thing is happening to me also.. Thanks

By Rudram on Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 03:29 am: Edit Post

Hi

First, I think language analysis has advanced a lot and we need to understand what scholars say even if it contradicts our favoured position. Second, the Harrapan civilization predated the Aryans ... but the people had moved out several decades before the Aryans showed up on their horses; perhaps due to environmental changes.

So on to Tamils and Dravidians ... Harappand were Dravidians but their language was probably gave rise to Tamil ... the Indus valley script is not adequately deciphered ... Mr Venkat Iyer and others can better explain current views on this aspect.
Sanskrit is part of the Indo European language family including Latin and German. The Aryans include Germans and Iranians and the Vedic culture originated in Iran...
There is no question that Tamil and Sanskrit are far apart in the language tree .. but I am puzzled by the passions on this topic. Harrapans and the Tamil kings developed technology, conquered kingdoms, organized administration and helped their people prosper... they did not waste energy and time on futile topics like which is older or what happened centuries ago. Lets understand the topic in an academic setting but focus our collective energy in making Tamilnadu and India a better place where women are safer travelling in buses and new technology is developed to make the world a better place.
Happy 2013

By Anonymous on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:54 pm: Edit Post

Just bcoz hindi speaking state/people are in majority , u cant force other citizens to speak hindi ... Like wise Crow is in majority than peacock in India... Make Crow as National bird why peacock ?? ... Indians will hold crow dolls during cricket match's n aussies with their kangaroo dolls.... good idea right ??

By indra sask on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 08:22 pm: Edit Post

By indra sask on Sunday,November 19, 2012 - 01:18 pm:
guys for proof on tamil been spoke in harappa, check
www.books.google/readindussian
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=D-MAlQVqtPQC&dq=read+indus&source=gbs_navlink s_s

By manikandashankar.c on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

We r not said that we we r the only people in world, but we says we also the old ancient . we r fighting for regognization because we loosed more. Manikandan

By Praveen Kumar on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post

please chjeck wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_language It states tamil is an ancient language in the world with proof.

By Anonymous on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 05:46 am: Edit Post

South Indians are good and hard working people . I have travelled to all the 4 south Indian states and found that Tamilians are not that hard working. By and large they have a lot of alien feeling towards India as a country and they dont even know the north Indian states and have any knowledge of them. All the states above AP and Karnatka is North India. They are very loosely educated and they are more concerned about Colombo then New delhi. Chennai is unclean compared to other Metros and yu find lot of crows in chennai which will outnumber all the metros if counted. That is the reason I suppose the Tamils are so obsessed with the crow analogy.

By karthikumar on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 07:52 am: Edit Post

Hi all, I don't understand, why other non Tamil speaking people are so disturbed by us. Is there any problem that we follow our belief, we feel proud of our language and we don't regret it. It's basically because of you people we are so particular and defensive, you look after your own business we won't bother you but if you speak bad about our language we will never agree on that.

By Anonymous on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 11:42 am: Edit Post

I wonder what the hell non-tamils are doing on this site in the first place... This a tamil forum... I saw some stating something about Tamils having inferiority complex... I pity that fool because I can't even fathom his inferiority complex to see what Tamils are talking among themselves and to the fool who said Chennai is the dirtiest metro... you are clearly a frog in a well... also Tamil is growing...by a lot... even outside India... thanks to the Srilankan diaspora... and I've witnessed it first hand... Except for Malayalis in the Gulf and maybe in London & US there is no other Indian language that comes even close to the spread and influence of Tamil(especially in Europe, Canada and Malaysia/Singapore)... And yes our culture is still flourishing!! We haven't imbibed into the western culture. I am skeptical about what's said above but it's his freedom of expression. So before you non-tamils say anything else ask yourself... "What the f*** am I doing here?"

By Anonymous on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:08 pm: Edit Post

Tamil is oldest language in the world. I would n't believe it until i heard korean. It came from tamil 100%. Korean may deny tamil as their forefather mainly because world is color racist. If tamilians are fair skin color, whole world would be lining up and tamils are their ancient forefathers etc.

Elite North indians (brahmins) who are pro sanskrit and they always against Tamil just for their own survival. So we need to ignore them completely.

You should only argue with foreigners. But none of foreign language can claim that is older than tamil.

Sanskrit came from tamil in 150AD and they cooked up everything. (stole tamil literature and burn it after copying)

Cameroon Speak tamil

Yazidi people have same tamil gods.

Papua guinea has tamil city names

Australia aborigin has same DNA and also speak same sounding words

Mayan has some connection

Basque has many tamil root words

Beber (tamazight) has many tamil root words

The list goes on and on.

Tamil words are in every corner of the world.

Case closed.

By Silvarajoo on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:44 am: Edit Post

I still do not get it. If sanskrit is older than Tamil why not one inscription that was found in the Indus and Harappa does not relate to the Sanskrit letters, but those lean more to Tamil letters.

How is that some Tamil words match in meaning the South American, Korean, Japanese, Australian Aborigines native languages?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Forum Menu:

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com